Influencing policy, bringing convergence, sharing knowlegde
Given the growth disparities between northern and southern parts of Karnataka Social Policy programme focuses on policy influencing at the state level to prioritise overall human development of the northern districts.
During the last programme cycle, interventions in the district of Raichur have shown that poor social development in the district is closely related to the level of infrastructure development. Also disaggregated data on identified social indicators are not available at the block level for monitoring by the Zilla Parishad.
Special efforts are made to influence infrastructure development programs and dove tail human development indicators to these programmes. Along with these state level interventions, the integrated approach initiated in the district of Raichur is also strengthened.
At the state level UNICEF supported the preparation of 11th Plan document where in all sectors have prioritized children issues.
At the integrated district level following actions has been supported:
• VP completed in three blocks of Raichur.
• Total no of villages completed- 729 out of 1279
• Total no of village volunteers trained- 2916
• VP needs to be initiated in the remaining 550 villages
• Special surveys conducted to highlight service delivery issues pertaining to helath and nutrition. These included:
• Availability iodised salt in the PDS outlets
• Facilities available at PHCs
• Vacancies among front line functionaries of ICDS and health
• These results were shared with the district and state level for appropriate action
• Block level task force meetings reviewing the service delivery gaps and informing the district administration
Convergence of sectoral activities in the integrated district was made possible in the following ways:
CE-Orientation to volunteers on TSC and 90 demonstration toilets constructed. Also low cost sanitary napkin unit was established in Sindhanur Block. Plus training on menstrual hygiene is given to adolescent girls’ group and SHG women
CDN- Acceleration of key behaviour change through folk performances completed in 150
CP- Mapping of Vulnerable communities and setting up of anti-trafficking committees completed
Advocacy and Partnership - Keluvara Balaga- Listener’s club formed in the villages
Supported Karnataka Child Rights Observatroy and linkage with Solution exchange
HIV/AIDS- 200 peer educators trained in Raichur Taluk
KCCI initiative has been actively supported by facilitating documentation of Gender sensitive police training project
State level advocacy efforts are being made VP indicators to be packaged as social sector inputs into BRGF plan preparation at the district level
Advocacy efforts are showing results in the implementation of Children’s grama sabha
Karnataka Child Rights Observatory is being linked to Solution Exchange, for initiating Kannada version.