Gift a child a new life – Return your old batteries
Exide Industries limited (Exide) has joined hands with UNICEF in India to support its Child Environment Programme that works to create better environmental conditions for underprivileged children in West Bengal. This partnership is for a period of three years starting from 2009 to 2011.
Exide’s support to UNICEF is linked to the number of used batteries that Exide gets as return from its existing customers. For every used battery that is returned to Exide from its existing customers, a particular sum of money would go to UNICEF.
The Child Environment programme of UNICEF supports the Government of India’s flagship scheme on water and sanitation, total sanitation campaign and accelerated rural water supply programme.
The programme works to ensure equitable and sustainable access to safe water and basic sanitation services, with particular emphasis on marginalized rural communities
UNICEF is working with Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan and Integrated Child Development Scheme to promote hygienic water and sanitation services in schools. This contribution will greatly help UNICEF's work in these areas and enable to provide a healthy and safe environment.
Exide partnership with UNICEF will also be an incentive to the Exide’s environmentally sensitive customers to return their used batteries to Exide Industries.
About the EXIDE – UNICEF Partnership – Child Environment in West Bengal
The Total Sanitation and accelerated rural water supply programme
• Focuses on primary preventive measures for infant mortality and morbidity.
• Universal sanitation coverage.
• Integrated and convergence with nutrition, health and education.
• Demonstration of models on solid and liquid waste management.
• Focus on water quality affected habitations – safe drinking water options.
• Establishment of management systems to ensure water safety, sustainability, cost effectiveness and social equity of rural piped water systems.